How to Succeed Selling Digital Products Online
Jul 28, 2021
You have a great digital product and you’re ready to start turning it into cold hard cash. Easy peasy, right? After all, the market for digital goods and services has been skyrocketing in recent years.
Not so fast. While selling digital products like online courses, subscriptions, and memberships can be a lucrative business model, it’s not a sure thing. If you want to succeed in this competitive field, you need to understand what it takes to build a profitable ecommerce business.
Building a better ecommerce website
A great ecommerce business starts with a great website. Unfortunately, this is also where many newbies go wrong.
- Too many business owners build a website before they understand who they’re building it for. Before spending your hard-earned money to hire a web designer, have a clear picture of your brand identity, your ideal client, and what you want your website to accomplish.
- Ecommerce websites should be designed with conversion in mind. Don’t leave potential clients wondering what you do or how to take action. Use strong headlines, well-written copy, and clear calls-to-action.
- It’s not just what the customer sees that matters. The things you do (or don’t do) behind the scenes influence your website’s success too. Make sure your website loads quickly on desktop and mobile, use relevant keywords and product descriptions, and design web pages for scannability with headers and simple navigation.
The best tools for managing your online business
You didn’t start an online business just to be tied to a desk all day. To thrive in work and life, you need tools that let you work your own way.
- At Courtney Marie Co., I’m a big fan of Kajabi. Kajabi is an all-in-one platform for managing your digital products business. Since Kajabi organizes web hosting, email marketing, course creation, and analytics tools all in one place, it saves time and money and keeps your smartphone from getting clogged with a million apps.
- One thing Kajabi can’t do is manage your finances. However, that doesn’t mean you’re stuck tracking hours and calculating taxes in Excel spreadsheets. With apps that let you run your books from your phone, it’s easy to keep a close eye on finances.
- Evernote is another lifesaver for content creators on the go. Not only does Evernote make it convenient to save and organize business documents, it’s also the ideal tool for organizing all of the great ideas that pop into your head.
How to effectively market your digital products
Now you have the business side of things down, but where are the customers? You need more than great content and a user-friendly website to bring buyers to your business. You need a marketing strategy.
- Social media is a tried-and-true strategy for marketing on a budget. Find out which social media platforms your ideal customers frequent and utilize strategies like influencer marketing, promotions and giveaways, and partnering with other online entrepreneurs to build your audience.
- Blogging is another powerful way to grow your audience. In addition to posting blog content on your own website to boost engagement and SEO, guest blogging is a good way to build brand awareness and establish authority in your field.
- Don’t let your customers be one-and-done. Drive customer loyalty and grow your revenue by expanding course offerings, bundling courses, hosting webinars and events, or starting a podcast that dives deep into the topics your customers want to hear about.
Are you ready to turn your digital products into a profitable online business? With these resources, you have all the information you need to start building your ecommerce website and make your first sale. Don’t have the time to do it all yourself? Let Courtney Marie Co. lend a hand with the back-end work so you can focus on providing the content your customers crave!